About Me

My photo
Archaeologists are not unlike truckers. Exploring Minnesota and Wisconsin's oddities, scenery, culture, back roads, and eateries helps keep me sane.

12 August 2009

History is Offensive

We're currently working in Superior, which I consider one of Wisconsin's armpits. Sorry Superior, you could really do so much better! The best thing about Superior is its proximity to Duluth, one of my favorite Midwest cities. Superior does have a high quantity of retro neon signs though, those are fun to look at. I'd go downtown to take some photos of them tonight, but downtown Superior is shady enough in the daylight. Okay, enough Superior bashing! Props to the Osaugie trail along the waterfront. It kicked my ass on a run today, but kept me going with enough stuff to look at.

While up here for work, we were given an interesting mission on the side... a sort of scavenger hunt. Word got back to the museum in Madison that there are a series of t-shirts for sale in northern Wisconsin (and Minnesota), that are pretty offensive to Native American peoples. Since every history has a dark side, we attempted to find some of these t-shirts to give to the museum to document a harsher part of Wisconsin's history.

Click here to see the particular t-shirts we were looking for.

Superior is a bit too close to the source of fire, so I'm not sure we'll have much luck here. There's still one day left to complete this mission. If we don't succeed, at least we got to laugh at a lot of other offensive t-shirts for sale. Below are a few I photo'd before my camera batteries ran out. Hopefully there will me more to post tomorrow! And here are some lovely suggestions from my Facebook friends, which may or may not be worthy of documenting as history:

"Purchasing Managers Do It By the Book"

"This isn't a beer belly, it's a gas tank for a sex machine." (worn by a rumored sex offender - ew!

An image depicting two unicorns humping under a rainbow. Brilliant!

"I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull fuck you!"

One with the silhouette of a car on it that says, "my other ride is your boyfriend"

"This isn't a beer belly....it's a blood reservoir for my penis"

"Swallow or it's going in your eye."

"If the heat doesn't kill the elderly, I will" t-shirt.

"My other car is up my nose."





No comments: