About Me

My photo
Archaeologists are not unlike truckers. Exploring Minnesota and Wisconsin's oddities, scenery, culture, back roads, and eateries helps keep me sane.

22 April 2009

An April Snow Day in Waushara and Green Lake Counties

Oh, sweet jesus, I can't stop laughing from Cabin Boy.

Ahem. Yeah.

This week, I'm sort of in the vicinity of some of my childhood stomping grounds and one of my favorite regions of Wisconsin for exploring while doing fieldwork -- Waushara and Green Lake counties. Okay, so I haven't been to Waushara County since I was in high school, but its small towns really embody what is classic about Wisconsin: taverns, antique shops, supper clubs, oddities, and lots of rural flair. Since it was snowing sideways yesterday, we ventured to Green Lake County and hung out in Princeton. Princeton has come a long ways since I was about 11-years old, hanging out with my grandma in the local taverns. The golfing hype caught on (Green Lake is home to Wisconsin's first golf course), and the place now caters to Chicago tourists. On the plus side, this has brought some nice little independent businesses to the area. You won't find a Wal-Mart for miles. I've always liked Twister, which has books, cooking supplies, novelties, higher end clothes, and super-delicious coffee. What else do you need? The owners are a riot and were willing to participate in our debate on what color the columns for the la Casbah were (Periwinkle, closer to purple than blue). La Casbah has pretty amazing food, worth the wait for the only falafel you'll find in about 100 square miles. Not many stores were open, because who really goes exploring on a snowy Tuesday in April? We stumbled across a little jewelry store called Baubles that really had just about anything anything a girl could want: jewelry and complimentary coffee, european chocolates, and cookies. There was also a seating area, obviously for the man-in-waiting, with magazines ranging from Men's Health to Sports Illustrated to Field and Stream. The lady who runs that store definitely has something figured out.

One of my most favorite places in Wisconsin is also near there, but a quick phone call to Leonore, the proprietor, and I learned they were not in town to let us in. The place is known as Castle Arkdale aka Happy Tales Books aka The Book Castle. Basically, it's a manure tank/slurry tank that has been reconstructed into a castle and houses a bajillion books -- they estimate there are nearly a million books on the premises. I'm not sure I can even do justice explaining it. I learned about it a few years ago from an avid second-hand book collecting co-worker and decided to stop in when I was doing archaeology in the area and in need of local history sources. I has completely blown away by what I encountered. We nearly missed it from the county highway, it's much better seen driving from the west. That was a week day, but Leonore was home and gave us an hour-long tour of her book organzing system, which is unconventional to say the least. My favorite section was books about people ruining America, including Micheal Moore, Al Franken, and something about Michael Jackson. I don't think Leonore forgets a face. She knows I work in history and that I like nursery rhymes. She often goes off to root around for archaeology books for me, particularly biblical ones so I can "start from the beginning". She remembers what books I'd like but can't afford til the next time, and she puts them aside. This place and the people are a real treasure. There's been some publicity in the last year or two, and I've noticed a serious decrease in her stacks of the "Top 100 Authors Everyone Should Read" before I can decide which author I need to read next. The books are really a steal, it's no wonder people are snatching them up. I hope they're treasuring them for the amazing things that they are and not turning around to sell them immediately online for twice the price. Yeah, I've read your blog, getting your kids in on the action -- feel ashamed!!

Click here for a news reel that might explain the place a little better than I am.

Another place that's a little close to my heart is Reetz Meats in Neshkoro on Highway 73. Why? Because I'm a Reetz, and they name all of their meats after the Reetz family. They say it hasn't been run by the Reetz's in a couple decades, and no, they don't give discounts to Reetz's. But I like stopping there anyways, just to giggle at the mural and the meat counter. I'm not sure which Reetz's owned it, or how they're related, but I have a pretty sweet antique mixing bowl handed down from my parents that has the Reetz Meats name and location stamped on the inside bottom. The photos are pretty self-explanatory. I'm showing off my score, Wisconsin treats from Reetz Meats, i.e., pistachio fluff and Reetz garlic summer sausage sticks. Divine. Who has ring bologna named after themselves, seriously? Wisconsin is great.







Well, yesterday was all about fun and exploration in the April snow, today was about sorta fun digging alongside the road in the sun, and tomorrow will be about Ed Gein -- another Wisconsin oddity.

Shout out to the Little Corporal in Green Lake - holla!! Haven't been there this year, but there are already plans for Katy's post-wedding day breakfast with a skillet and sausage gravy. Go to the Little Corporal, but keep that a secret, too.

No comments: