About Me

My photo
Archaeologists are not unlike truckers. Exploring Minnesota and Wisconsin's oddities, scenery, culture, back roads, and eateries helps keep me sane.

14 July 2011

Shifting Gears.

It's been about 7 weeks since I left Wisconsin for the wilderness of Northeastern Minnesota.  The highlights are:  no more lengthy hotel life, no more constant shovel testing, no more construction monitoring, no more Scott Walker.  I will definitely miss weekly jaunts all over Wisconsin and all of the wonderful adventures they presented.  5 years anywhere is too long for someone with as much wanderlust as I have.  I'm embracing this new chapter, with all of its ups and downs.  Luckily, there are more ups than downs, depending on how you look at things.  The plan is to start a certificate program in Environmental Education this autumn.  If that doesn't happen, then, well, everything will turn out how it's meant to be. 

One of the best parts about Minnesota life so far is definitley the forest.  I'm just going to let the photos express what I've loved about the last 7 weeks. 

Forest Creatures
Completely unaware of us, giving us a show. So special!

A wolve's back paw.
Luna moth.

Beaver art.

An unhappy moose sow, fleeing the scene.

Not every creature is my friend.


Forest Sights
The Brule River, Gunflint District.

Murphy Creek, Laurentian District.

Fulton Creek. At least it was a creek until the beavers decided otherwise.  Tofte District?

An old railroad and sawmill camp, Laurentian District.


Forest Delicacy 
Bunchberry.

Starflower.

Gaywing or Bird-on-the-wing.

Iris.

No clue, but it's pretty.

I have no mushroom knowledge... yet.

No comments: