About Me

My photo
Archaeologists are not unlike truckers. Exploring Minnesota and Wisconsin's oddities, scenery, culture, back roads, and eateries helps keep me sane.

01 May 2009

'They Can't All Be Fun Weeks' or 'Frank Lloyd Wright Was a Vampire'

My brain is mush after this field week. Yep, it's not all fun and excitement. Sometimes it's nothing but brain-numbing confinement.

At least we were confined somewhere decent. In Green Bay again, the lead decided to forgo the Extended Stay for the much nicer, posh Comfort Suites. Can I just say, the beds are DIVINE!! I love my own pillows, but they just seem sub-par now. That combined with the free drink coupons for the hotel bar and made-to-order complimentary omelets in the mornings makes for one hell of a field-stay.

Would it be slander if I said why he chose not make us stay at the Extended Stay? Probably. Email me and I'll tell you.

This really isn't making for an exciting blog, but it's not supposed to be a rant tearing down all the aspects of my job that can be quite shitty.

I'm gonna have to dive into the back of my mind for an exciting story from field seasons past. Let's go back to Richland County **insert Wayne and Garth and their doodly-doo transporting sound effect here**

There's a great little bookstore in downtown Richland Center, which happens to be run by a distant relative of mine (as are many people in Richland County, on my Grandma Reetz's side). When he found out he goes, "Well, I guess we can't get married then." If you ever meet this guy, get him to pull you a fresh sampler of whatever microbrew he's got tapped, or a taste of wine. The book store has a healthy and well-rounded stock of libations. He's a great conversationalist, so get him talking. He knows a lot about the area's prehistory, geography, and geology. He's the one who directed us to Bogus Bluff cave. But, and the clincher is, he's got some very passionate opinions about Frank Lloyd Wright.

Frank Lloyd Wright, according to Dan, was a VAMPIRE.

"He always wore a cap and a wide-brimmed hat to keep the sun off of his face. WHY? Because he's a vampire."

"You ever seen his designs? Tiny windows, large overhangs. WHY? Because they were crypts. For vampires. If he wasn't a vampire, he was a minion."

"You see his building here in Richland Center? Aztec motif. Aztecs - Quetzoquatl -blood - vampires."

"He and his wife helped Josef Stalin's daughter emigrate to Wisconsin. Stalin (raises his hand to chin level). Hitler (higher on the scale). Frank Lloyd Wright (above his head!). All vampires."

I could've talked to him the whole rainy afternoon, if it weren't for work. Yes, it's true, I like to engage in quirky conversation and will egg people on as much as possible. Maybe too much.

I asked my grandma about FLW and all she said was, "He used to hang out on my Dad's porch... and he never wore shoes."

I think a real vampire would wear shoes.

This week's tally:

Holes dug: 0

Meetings attended: 3

Free drinks: 2 each.

Omelets: Just one for me.

Hours spent browsing other job announcements: About 3.

Hours spent doing quizzes and top 5's on Facebook: More than I care to admit.

Hours in actual sunshine/daylight: I'm guessing 7 for the work week.

Maybe my co-worker is a vampire. Hmm.....

No comments: